12.07.2010

Feeding the Dragon

I have a friend who recently shared the theory of the dragon with me. Her mother saw a therapist that explained that many creative people have an inner “dragon” that needs to be nourished and fed on a continual basis. This therapist explained that many push off the desire to do creative things because they think of it as frivolous, unnecessary or simply something that can be done later, when there is more free time. Neglecting the dragon causes it to become restless and grumpy. But when we feed this dragon with artistic pursuits it is happy and content. My dragon has been perpetually grumpy for a while.


Inspired by many wonderfully talented people I know, I have been feeling the itch to do much more than I have been with all the design ideas that constantly run around in my brain. I kept thinking that I would do it when there was time. It hasn’t happened because, well, there is never enough time. Part of this has involved joining the blogging world and sharing these ideas, my inspirations and the things I create. After much encouragement from family and friends, I am making the time to feed my dragon and will share the journey here. I invite you to join me, if you feel so inclined.

A little more about me…I am an interior designer, artist, painter and incurably crafty. I can’t help but collect odds and ends of little things and use them to put that special touch on a project. I am a sucker for texture, color and layers. I love many things vintage and retro. I most enjoy projects that involve collage, decorative painting, paper crafts (like scrapbooking and card making), floral arrangements and jewelry. However, I am usually game for just about any creative pursuit that comes my way. To get a small glimpse of what I can do, I invite you to take a look at my website, wmdesign-studio.com.

As encouragement for you to join me on this journey I am going to start with a giveaway. I often make my own jewelry and I especially love designing pieces that are very versatile. This necklace will add interest to any outfit. Silver metallic chain and a kaleidoscope of colored beads give it endless options. A $25 value this would make a great gift for one of the girlies on your Christmas list or a special treat for yourself!



You will receive one entry to the drawing for each of these that you do…

• Reply with a comment on this post

• Become a follower of this blog

• Like WM Design on Facebook

• Leave a comment on WM Design’s Facebook page

• Post a link to WM Design on your Facebook status and message me that you have done it

The drawing will be open through Thursday, December 9th. A winner will be randomly selected and announced on Friday, December 10th. If you don’t win, no need to cry. You can contact me about making your very own custom necklace. I will also have an Etsy site up soon so you can peruse and purchase at your leisure.

9 comments:

Meredith said...

Oh, so pretty! I want one!

Angela Dunigan said...

I love the dragon theory! Starting a blog is, I imagine, a rather daunting task and one for which I applaud you. May your dragon be satiated.

Love,
Angela

Unknown said...

How exciting Wendy!! Way to feed that Dragon. The 3 of us need to get together and do lunch sometime. Kristin

Karen said...

Wendy, Angela suggested I try you site and I am proud that you are doing something so artistic. I will look forward to viewing this blog often. You jewelry is beautiful. Good luck in your adventure.

AZ Hey-mon said...

Wendy, way to go! I love the dragon story. Can't wait to see all the fun stuff you do.

Kim said...

Wendi I am so excited that you are doing this. You are so talented and it will be a joy to hear and see what goes on in that talented head of yours. I love the dragon story as well. This school thing is really messing with my inner dragon as well. Thanks for using an avenue that we are all able to share in your creativity. Good luck and I look forward to the education you will bring.
Miss ya! Loves Kim

Maddy said...

Awesome Wendi! I'm so excited for you!!

debbi said...

What a fabulous idea! I've been toying with doing a similar thing for what I do (writing and art). You give me courage! You go, girl!

wmaroney said...

Thanks everyone for your kind words. It is exciting and terrifying all at once. Exciting to finally be doing something about it. Terrifying to decipher all the technical stuff. I hope you decide to stick around and join me on the journey. xxx-wm